POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Operation downfall : Operation downfall Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:19:18 EDT (-0400)
  Operation downfall
From: Invisible
Date: 17 Nov 2009 06:56:00
Message: <4b028f50$1@news.povray.org>
[If you want to enjoy the rest of today, don't bother reading this post...]

I left my house at 8AM this morning. My mother's car was still parked on
the driveway. She should have been at work an hour ago. Instead, she was
laying in bed, SOBBING UNCONTROLLABLY. The women was inconsolable. I
repeat: inconsolable.

Have you ever seen a grown women reduced to the hysterical crying of a
small child? It isn't pretty.

And what has brought this on, you ask? It seems that after months of
torment, she can no longer actually bring herself to set foot inside her
employer's premises. She woke at 2AM, and spent several hours trying to
convince herself to go to work. But several hours later when I awoke,
she had given up trying. The thought of returning to that place was
simply too horrifying.

My mother is, understandably, terrified about losing her job. My
piffling wages would make a very small dent in the running costs of our
house. And my mother seems convinced that she will never find another
job that mays anywhere near the same wages. But after months and months
of constant pressure, criticism, harassment, bullying, shouting,
threatening letters, lies and manipulation, she simply can't take any more.

I don't think she's decided to quit. I don't think she's *decided*
anything. I think it's more that she has lost the capacity for rational
thought. There are no thoughts any more, only fear. Months of sleep
deprevation and endless stress have finally crippled her brain beyond
the point of normal functioning.

All of this makes me very, very angry. You may say "that's life", but I
do not accept that. It SHOULD NOT BE LEGAL for a commercial entity to
deliberately DESTROY A HUMAN BEING. It shouldn't be legal to prevent
somebody from eating and drinking. It shoesn't be legal to threaten to
fire them unless they stop taking time off sick. And it should NOT be
legal to make their lives hell in the hope that they'll quit and you
won't have to keep paying them.

Sometimes I get so angry I want to actually drive over there and give
those people... not so much a piece of my mind as a piece of my FIST.
And I'm not a violent person. I am a shy, quiet person. But this crap
has crossed the line!

...Of course, all that will happen with that plan is that I'll spend the
rest of my life in jail. Which would pretty much suck. And besides, the
managers are only doing what they've been told to do; "get rid of the
expensive employeers, it doesn't matter how".

So, does anybody have any *constructive* suggestions for how to remedy
this unholy situation?

(UK law applies, remember.)

PS. No, the union doesn't appear to be especially helpful.